Come play in my world for awhile!

Monday, March 2, 2009

Weekend trifecta

Things have been more difficult than necessary around here lately. Nothing has been profoundly wrong, but nothing has been right, either. We've had a weekend trifecta, if you will. All I can say is thank goodness it wasn't an octofecta!

Part I: My husband has been out of town for the better part of the week and it carried over to the weekend. He's never gone on the weekends. This, of course, has a snowball effect because everything scheduled for the weekend was committed with the understanding that there would be two adults around to drive the activity bus. Saturday was chaotic. I chased myself in circles all over town, crashed into myself at the intersection of Crazy Street and Overcomitted Lane, and spent a ridiculous amount of time fantasizing (did I just say fantasizing?! There are lots of great things to fantasize about and this is not one of them) about the moment when all the kids would be asleep.

Part II: Sunday I picked Abby and Emily up from a sleepover and discovered that they might have been exposed to lice. That dull thudding sound you heard Sunday was the sound of my jaw hitting the floor. There is something innately repulsive about tiny parasites vampirizing my children. With extended fingertips, I carefully lifted small strands of the girls' hair to the light fearing that I might find evidence of blood sucking parasites feasting on my daughters' heads. And I found... nothing... yet.

Part III: At this point I'm officially gripped by the irrational fear that we're on the verge of a full-scale parasitic assault. Stuffed animals went into the dryer on the hottest setting for a high- heat session. All bedding got a one way ticket to the laundry room. As I rounded the corner with yet another armload of laundry I found this:


This is where it started. A cascade of foamy white suds that should've been doin' their thing inside the washing machine, and not spilling out onto the floor... After all the vomitting that happened a week ago now the washing machine is vomitting...

The white puff on top of the purple and pink is soap suds. I moved the next load of laundry underneath the wash vomit to try and slow the flow. I cleaned most of it before I decided that this was blog worthy...
.
And that's the trifecta.

28 comments:

MsTypo said...

OH my god that sucks!! :( A dying washing machine, lice, and a husbandless weekend. :( I can't think of anyone more deserving or need of some ****Hugs***** :)

Unknown said...

Yikes! We had lice here on The Avenue when GlitterGurl was 7 or 8, I had to cut her hair :( I cleaned everything like a mad woman and to this day when lice is mentioned, I itch! Eeewww eeewww eeeww. Good luck

Anonymous said...

Oh yuck.

I hope the lice thing never comes to head (okay - I know it was a lame attempt at a joke.)


My husband was gone for an entire weekend recently. It totally throw off my game. I hope things go smoother this week.

Kimberly said...

Well, you know, appliances are a part of our family, they too can get sick and vomit all over the floor.

I'm sorry this happened, though it reminded me of the time my mother ran out of dish washing soap and thought it would be okay to put regular dish soap (dawn) in it, and the entire kitchen filled with soapy bubbles. It was a mess. But damn was it funny!

Mary K Brennan said...

Isn't there a clause in the vows that states weekends are for Mommies? Washing machines should cooperate, husbands should have definite schedules, and bugs should stay outside where they belong!
Chin up Kathy B. If anyone can solve this Trifecta...it's you!
You're in my thoughts.

Anonymous said...

That sucks. At least it's Monday and the weekend is over!

Gibby said...

Yeah, that stinks. Not sure what's worse, a washing machine that's not working or the lice thing. I am terrified of lice. And bed bugs. I have heard so many stories about bed bugs making a comeback in hotels and with Hubby traveling so much...

Hhhhmmm, probably shouldn't have mentioned that. Happy Monday!!!

Cassie said...

Sorry to hear that your weekend was so rough. Good news is it's Monday Whoopie !!! Hope the week treats you better. :-D

Unknown said...

I promise I am going to read this post and give you a proper comment but wanted to give you the info you asked for on my blog (hee hee) Here is the link to the show http://www.blogtalkradio.com/chatterboxradio Just click and listen in!!

Minxy Mimi said...

UH OH
Ive been at the intersection too, I think I scraped your fender! LOL
But I am sorry your weekend was crappy. I hope your washer feels better soon.

3 Bay B Chicks said...

The trifecta is in full effect. Well done, my friend, well done!

I must admit that I am very concerned about the photos you posted today. Something must definitely be amiss. Where was your maid (or man-servant, as the case may be)? Did you give him the day off?

-Francesca

PS: Why did you move away? We could have so gone beyond cyber-BFFs.

Debbie said...

That is one of those days where you really wonder why you ever got out of bed.

Tina said...

Ugh...Lice...Yuck! We've been through that before and I am one of those over the top moms that had to sanitize EVERYTHING in the house rather it needed it or not. And what a crappy time for your washer to get sick!

RE: your comment on my blog...I about 40 mins SW of Raleigh!

Kristina P. said...

Lice is horrible!! Ack!! Sorry about the crappy weekend. You need a Snuggie AND a Bumpit.

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

oh my gosh, what a weekend you had! here's to hoping this week is better + brighter!

Anonymous said...

Silver lining is that it wasn't an Octofecta! :) Sorry such a rough weekend....gotta love a lice scare!

theUngourmet said...

Oh, that really stinks! A couple of days ago I discovered that I had standing water inside my dishwasher! Luckily, my husband was able to fix it. A ginormous bill from a plumber is not at all what we need right now! I hope you get through the lice issue unscathed! That can be so traumatic. My kids have never gotten it but both my sister and I had it when we were little.

peewee said...

oh NO! Sorry! I was ALWAYS paranoid I had lice as a kid. back then the school nurse would come in during class and check our heads. If you were taken away during class you were scarred FOR LIFE! WE STILL laugh about the kids who had lice.

I guess that's not a very good story for you right now, huh. Um well, at least your dryer has a rainbow on it! yay! rainbows!

Anonymous said...

I remember getting those notes home from school about lice and feeling my stomach sink. It was easy to check my son's hair because his was cut really short, but my daughter's hair would have been a holy nightmare. She has ringlets the size of pencils all over her head. Can you imagine using a nit comb on that?

Ok, I went a little off the deep end there, considering it never even happened. I truly hope you're in the clear though.

ScoMan said...

Now that you've had the three, you can't have any more. That's the rule.

But, maybe because the weekend is over your quota is reset. I'm not sure, that sort of goes into a grey area. I'll have to consult the manual.

Grand Pooba said...

Yikes! Hopefully this week will be better! And thanks, I was wondering what that wierd sound was on Sunday!

The Blonde Duck said...

That's one heck of a trifecta!

Jen said...

My goodness that was quite the weekend. I bet you are glad its over!
And now thank you b/c my head is itching. I hate lice!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, wow, wow (another trifecta, right?)!!!

What a weekend! I love that you manage to find the kernel of fun in it and keep it light. I get tired of reading all the rants.

Brandy said...

May I suggest a glass of wine for what ails you...and in this case you might want the whole bottle. Geez!

Susie said...

I'm with Brandy! I would need a drink after all that!

forever folding laundry said...

Ugh. Any of of those things alone is enough to cause one to drink. But the trifecta? I'd say your hubby owes you. Big time.

~Keri

Anonymous said...

Is the washing machine ok? Because I just went without one for a week and a half and I was crazed. It does remind me of when I thought our beautiful two-week old might have got flea bites from the dog. Everything was washed and cleaned, including the dog, when the doc assured me it was just a rash.

Oh, and you're amazing to do all that without the other half.