Come play in my world for awhile!

Friday, February 13, 2009

Things that make me go hmmmm

Today I have a child home sick with the stomach bug, and my schedule is out the window. Instead of racing around like a maniac I'm suddenly taking the day at a lackadaisical pace, and it's left me lots of time for thinking and cleaning and wondering....

...how a child can be violently ill one minute, and then dancing happily behind me as I start a load of laundry the next. Why don't I feel that good right after bowing to the porcelain Buddha?

...if methodically disinfecting every toilet/sink/doorknob/light switch in the house in an effort to keep the stomach bug from systematically attacking us is like closing the stall door after the horse has already left the barn.

...if the headache I have is from the overwhelming odor of bleach permeating the house or an early indicator that my body has been infected by the cooties and my time is running out.

...if I really thought I could use bleach while wearing my favorite black sweats and walk away without tiny little white specks all over them.

...whether I should go ahead and eat four more of those creamy, delectable, mouth watering chocolates that I pilfered from the Valentine's Day stash. I'm going to be throwing up soon so it might be prudent to store some extra calories for when that happens, right?

...whether my toothbrush was touching Abby's toothbrush in the toothbrush holder, and how long that stomach cootie can live on a toothbrush anyway?


...whether it's better to get sick on the weekend or during the week? Which is ridiculous because Murphy's Law clearly states that you will be vomiting and incapacitated at the point when you're most vulnerable. So weekday, weekend... does it really matter?

...what the incubation period for the stomach bug is?! Every gurgle of my stomach will have to be analyzed for the next week. In the world according to me one week is the point at which you can officially consider yourself safe.

If you don't hear from me on Monday, well, you'll know why...

23 comments:

Debbie said...

Oh yes. I know these thoughts! My daughter was violently ill on our cruise and I kept thinking how small that little cabin and bathroom were and how I couldn't disinfect. Good luck!

Michele said...

Glad you liked the post!

We had the nastiest stomach flu ever in the first half of December. Your post was right on the money.

My favorite (and only) pair of blue plaid lounge pants are now polka-dotted from the knees down.

Kids' resiliency when dealing with a stomach bug IS admirable. Just get it all out, then business as usual, until the next time!

My cleaning supplies were low and I was desperate to kick that bad boy out, so I went out and bought every new, effective and convenient disinfectant product that caught my eye on the shelf. My house never smelled so clean.

Sounds like you have had a very full, not-so-good, week. Hang in there!

Michele said...

Kathy, can you save me some time and recap your kids' ages for me rather than me having to sift through your blog? As much as I would enjoy that, I'm supposed to be a homeschooling mom, and that means I actually have to teach something today instead of just blogging!

Mama Wheaton said...

Kids + sickness = family with sickness (at least in my house the ratio is 50/50.

Kathy B! said...

Michelle: The kids are 11, 8, 6 and 6. In a couple days it'll be 11, 9, 7 and 7, but I try not to make them grow up any faster!

Anonymous said...

For some reason the boys (meaning the toddler and the husband) get sick at the same time, every single time. I never get it and I have to take care of both of them.

Good luck with the sick kid and I hope they feel better soon (and nobody else catches it).

Dumb Mom said...

Cool blog! Sorry you guys are feeling so yucky:(. I'm horrible with the pukes or the poos b/c my overactive gag response kicks in and we have a very scary scene. Thanks for adding my blog to your list. Hope everyone is better soon.

Anonymous said...

"...whether I should go ahead and eat four more of those creamy, delectable, mouth watering chocolates that I pilfered from the Valentine's Day stash. I'm going to be throwing up soon so it might be prudent to store some extra calories for when that happens, right?"

That line made my day. I say eat them!!

Leslie M said...

Loved your point of view! Eat the chocolates. If it comes back up then at least it will be tasty!

Brandy said...

Stopping by from SITS...I hope everyone gets better quickly. That the cooties die even faster and that you ruining your favorite sweats with bleach was worth it when you don't get sick.

Have a great weekend!

Mary K Brennan said...

Sometimes I wonder if that Bleach thing really works. We've managed to dodge the flu thus far this year, but the Moms are saying it just hit Kindergarten last week. I wonder if I've already been infected. I'm sure it will show it's nasty self during our March Disney vacation. Good Luck.

Anonymous said...

Let's hope it passes. There's only one thing worse than being sick; it's being a sick mom. Ugh. Wishing you well.

evenshine said...

Chlorox everything, immediately. Invest in shares of Purell.
And down the chocolates. Life is too short.
Cheers!

Anonymous said...

How DO they do that? For the life of me I could never bounce back if I vomited on someone's shirt. Yet somehow my kid is fine five minutes later. Where's the shame?

CynthiaK said...

I have ruined so many pieces of clothing with bleach marks, no matter how careful I am. It's so frustrating.

Hope all bugs leave your house pronto!

And, thanks for popping by Crumbs!

Niki said...

My kids are the same way. They could have just vomited or have a fever of 101° and they act fine. If I vomit (which hasn't been in many years, thank God) or have a temperature of 99.8° (which happened to me right around Christmas), I feel like crap.

Pretty new layout, by the way. :-)

Anonymous said...

I hope everyone feel better quickly! Does it help to know that your new blog design is FABULOUS?! Love it! Take care...

Ann On and On... said...

Being sick is sooo not fun! I hear chocolate makes you feel better faster. :D

Welcome to SITS...have fun jumping from blog to blog. There are soooo many amazing women to meet. I am hosting a card swap and a giveaway right now...check it out. Happy Valentine's Day!

Rhea said...

I get paranoid when the stomach bug hits my house too. So many surfaces to clean, so little time...

I hope your little one feels better and that you don't get sick either.

I'm part of the SITS Welcome Wagon! I've been a member since last summer, and I've read so many fun blogs and met so many amazing women through SITS. Welcome aboard!

Valerie said...

"...how a child can be violently ill one minute, and then dancing happily behind me as I start a load of laundry the next. Why don't I feel that good right after bowing to the porcelain Buddha?"

Oh to have the resilience of a child! And of course, my kids always capitalize on the fact that I can barely scrape myself off the floor when I am sick and use that time to do all the things they would never get away with when I can actually keep up with them!

Hope this bug blows over soon and that you are spared!

Jen said...

Oh, I hope you cleansed every surface in time the stomach flu is no fun.

~ a fellow SITSta just welcoming you to the club ;)

Nana said...

I hope you are o.k. I have the same thoughts go through my head when someone is sick around here.

Sapphire said...

oh, this blog is too cute! Love your random thoughts....
Welcome to SITS...I'll be coming back, soon!