Come play in my world for awhile!

Monday, December 22, 2008

Love hurts

Yesterday we went to mass at the Duke University Chapel. I'm going to showcase the fact that I'm not feeling particularly articulate at the moment and just say, "Wow!" The architecture, the North Carolina Boys Choir, the acoustics, the stained glass, the pipe organs that make your chest vibrate with the strength of their music. Wow.

I'm a huge fan of baroque architecture. When I noticed a posting in the church bulletin that there would be a docent available after mass to lead a tour I was thrilled. When the tour began my children's faces were bright with expectation and curiosity. After about 15 minutes I could tell by their glazed eyes and vacant stares that they were not engaged in the docent's description of the symbolism of each enormous panel of stained glass. I surmised by their fidgeting that they didn't care how many pipes each of the four individual organs contained. And yet they were respectful and quiet and polite for the better part of almost three hours. It was a proud mommy moment. Restraint and respect are elusive qualities in children, and yesterday we had them in spades. Cross your fingers for tomorrow.

We were nearly through the tour of the chapel when Emily whispered in my ear, "Mommy do they have weddings here?" I told her that they certainly did. She was quiet for a minute and then asked if you had to be in love to get married. I of course told her, "Absolutely!" She was quiet again briefly and then proceeded to tell me she wasn't going to be falling in love. Surprised, I inquired about this new development and she told me, "Well, to fall in love I think you have to get shot with an arrow or something. It usually gets you right in the rump. And even though the rest of it isn't supposed to hurt that much I really don't want to get shot with that arrow."

Well, that's a relief! I'll be sure to remind her of that when she's 16.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never thought of Cupid as a figure who would inspire fear! That's adorable!! Maybe if Cupid ran around with an AK-47 we could lower the rate of teenage pregnancy?

Leslie M said...

Cute story. That chapel is gorgeous! We went to a wedding many years ago at the Stanford Chapel, which had just been restored from the earthquake. It was spectacular. You really felt that G/d was there within the walls.

Anonymous said...

Your kids are adorable. I bet they will love to read all that you have written when they are older.

Anonymous said...

My daughter informed me the other day she is going to marry Spiderman but not to worry she will still live with me. Spiderman and the 30 kids will sleep in her room and she will move into my room.

Holy crap someone help if that is my future!!!

Anonymous said...

Maybe if you tell Emily that she gets a Girl Scout Fun Patch for being shot in the rump by Cupid....

Hmmmm....I wonder what that patch would look like.... ;-D

Have a Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Your kids are hilarious KathyB!

I guess they take after their mom!!