Come play in my world for awhile!

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Striiiike TWO!

I love Field Day.

I love the silly games and the camaraderie and the intent, determined faces of the youngest participants, and the celebration of another school year successfully completed.

Or maybe I should say I love the idea of Field Day.

Last year for Field Day my job was to run the Sneaker Relay. The kids took their shoes off, threw them in a bucket and competed on teams in a relay race to see which team could get their shoes back on first. Great idea in concept. In reality it was so hot that local farmers were feeding their chickens crushed ice to keep them from laying hard boiled eggs. The impact on the kids? They were sweaty... and some weren't wearing socks... and a lot of them were boys... and the smell of those feet? Let's just say I started the day with my normal, naturally straight hair and when I went home it was curly.

This year I knew better. When the call went out for volunteers I responded quickly and snatched up an event called, "Duck, Duck Splash." It's basically "Duck, Duck Goose" played with a sponge so that you dribble on each person you "duck" and drench the person you "goose." A water game and the participants keep their shoes on? Brilliant.

I was committed to making this year better. I had sunscreen, a hat, a bottle of water and, most importantly, a game I could have fun with.

Bring it, kids. This time I was ready.

And we got off to a great start. I added some strategic elements to the game to keep it fun for the older kids, like:

* If you get caught by the "ducker" you have to dunk your head in the water bucket, or

* If you don't make an effort to get away from the "ducker" I get to squeeze a sponge full of cold water on your head, or my personal favorite...

* I get to dump the bucket of cold water over all the kids at the end of each round.

I was having fun and the kids were having a blast. I started to relax and enjoy myself. This is what Field Day is supposed to feel like.

One of my kids who received the bucket 'o water to the head!

Don't feel sorry for them... it was hot! They were begging me to soak them.

Until my fifth group of kids. Everything began just as it was supposed to. The kids were excited but under control. It was perfect... until one of the third-graders slipped and fell hard on her chin. I watched as she went down and I knew it would be bad before she gasped her first tentative sob. As I gently pulled her crumpled form from the ground she looked up at me with pain in her eyes and blood in her hands, and I knew there would be stitches.

After her mother had spirited her off to the doctor's, I returned to Duck, Duck, Splash. I know it wasn't my fault but I felt horrible nonetheless. I plastered a smile on my face and tried to ignore the weighty lump in the pit of my stomach. I mentally called on my former enthusiasm, but the crimson flowers of her blood on my shirt continually gnawed at me.

So, Field Day...

STRIKE TWO!!

I'm giving you one more year and then I'm OUT.

52 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Don't feel bad! Injuries happen at these kind of things.

Saz said...

When I working at the kids' school in various voluntary capacities, art tutor, library monitor, reading book grader and paid dinner lady...I was in awe of teachers and the paperwork and testing they had to complete on each child. I was equally appalled h0w many of them including the head teacher, hated sports day. They practically got onto their knees and prayed for rain...as a parent I always prayed for a good day..as I saw and understood the sadness the kids felt after al their practising and preparation to be competitive, that they couldnt now fulfil their race, b eit egg and spoon, bean bags or three legged debacle.

Sultan said...

Field day is apparently mighty dangerous. Who knew?

mommakin said...

Oh, man, I feel ya!

Totally not your fault. But you know that...

It's all fun and games till someone ends up in the ER...

Pam said...

That's awful. I would have felt bad, too. Maybe next year you can hand out water bottles. That seems pretty drama free.

TKW said...

You are awesome just for making it to 2 of those things. I f-ing HATE field day and even hated it as a kid. My mom took pity on my unathletic arse and let me stay home on field day after the "no-ribbon-all-day-debacle" of 1977.

D said...

oh, not your fault at all. Sounds like the kids had a lot of fun.

I don't think that was a strike at all.

Lindy said...

My daughter's school took them all to the local gym this year where the were in a controlled environment with trained professionals - they must know of these "field day strikes" too!

Really - how do you do all that you do? I volunteer for VBS - 1 week long and I'm toast the rest of the year.

Anonymous said...

Awww...poor kid. Thankfully they're resilient. My daughter's field was scheduled for today, but canceled due to rain (surprise). Looks like we'll miss it this year anyway since she's sick.

It is a fun day. I'll miss it. Have a great day!
-FringeGirl

Sandy said...

Oh, it's not your fault! But I understand, it would have ruined my day, too.

Anonymous said...

Well wasn't that a major buzz kill for Field Day? Poor girl...now that's what she'll associate with field day!! Our Field Day is cool too...much better than when I was a kid when it was just running races. :0

Hit 40 said...

You know it's a fun day when you draw some blood!!

ARE YOU STILL IN SCHOOL!!!

Hit 40 said...

Oh... and I was glad to read yesterday in your comments that your daughter only smashed your own sand castles :-) I didn't think your clan would randomly smash other children's pile of dreams.

Gibby said...

TKW's comment is hysterical!

Don't feel bad, KB!, it wasn't your fault. Focus on all of the fun the other kids had. Poonch cut her chin on the playground this year, too. Escaped stitches, but had to get it glued. It happens all over the darn place!

I would be willing to join a club of mothers uniting against Field Day.

Nicole said...

To be honest, I would feel the same. Poor kid. : (

Anonymous said...

When I my kids get older - I'm asking you for advice before I volunteer for anything.

Kimberly said...

Awe, jeez...I think I would feel the same way as well!

Queenie Jeannie said...

Oh bless her heart!! Major bummer for everyone. Hopefully the Mom was understanding. So sorry this happened!!!

Grant said...

Next year - Jell-O shots.

Paging Doctor Mommy said...

Oh my, the poor thing! But it wasn't your fault... accidents happen!

I used to love field day when I was a kid!

Susie said...

Sounds like you have a Field Day curse.

LadyFi said...

All field days end up with a few accidents... Still, what a shame!

Pop and Ice said...

I never volunteer for anything outside because it inevitably becomes a debacle!

Stick with the museum field trips. Far safer, usually no blood, just missing kids to be found and yell at!

zelzee said...

Sounds like field day should include some sports medicine professionals on the sidelines!!

Never fails, though.......no matter how careful you try to be.

Dumb Mom said...

I am SO not a fan of field day! It's fine as long as I can watch from the side w/a huge umbrella, a personal fan, and a huge glass of ice water. Otherwise, blech! But, I'm lazy like that. And, yes to the blogroll, would love it. I just left that comment b/c I was having one of my many psychotic not sure who I am or what year it even is days. They are happening WAY too much these days:)

for a different kind of girl said...

I'd have felt bad, too. Hope she didn't need too many stitches.

The last track and field days I had the chance to go to was for my oldest son last year, and as the kids get older, it definitely morphed into more of a track and field event, all kinds of dashes and relays. I definitely missed the water games on that hot afternoon in the sun!

ck said...

I always HATED field day. (Guess that's no surprise.) Wish I'd thought to bust it on the ground like that. I'd take stitches over a race any day.

beth said...

oh, poor baby! isn't it even worse somehow when it's not your own child? she'll be fine, though, i'm sure.

Michele said...

So sorry for both of you. That would also be enough to put me off of Field Day permanently.

Crazee Juls said...

Awww. That's so sad. Sorry to hear your field day was bummish again. Hopefully, next year will be such a homerun of a time, that these two strikes are forgotten.

The chickens laying hard-boiled eggs thing--I nearly wet my pants.

theUngourmet said...

That's too bad! I would feel the same way.

Thanks for your comments over my way today! I loved it all, it made me smile! :0)

Unknown said...

So NOT your fault, but I feel your pain. Kudos to you for trooping it out there with them! Sounds like it was still a good time!

Winks & Smiles,
Wifey

Grand Pooba said...

Oh how sad! But I agree, it's not your fault and accidents happen. Especially to me.

carrhop said...

Awww....so sorry. It is a killjoy to have something split open on Field Day. Hope she's healing up quickly! Good for you, staying at your post to the dousing end!

Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Maybe you can man the water station next time?

Liz Wilkey (a.k.a. A Mom on Spin) said...

At least you gave it a try! I'd be over in the corner trying to see how I could get out of any real interaction with the kids!

Jen said...

Oh I can just imagine those smelly shoes. Maybe next year you should just hand out candy. What could go wrong there?

AiringMyLaundry said...

I'm too cranky to do any of those field day things. And the smelly shoes would have just sent me over the top.

Patricia said...

awwww and it sounded like you were having such a good day too. I know how you feel though, I think it'd be pretty hard to just brush off, accidents are accidents but there is always a part of you that thinks maybe you could have prevented it.

WTG making it more fun for the kids and a big salute to you for volunteering!!! So many parents don't.

passions and soapboxes said...

You know there was nothing you could do to prevent it so don't beat yourself up over it, accidents happen.
ice, chickens, hard boiled eggs, now thats funny!

Stesha said...

The kid will bounce back.

Hugs and Mocha,
Stesha

Anonymous said...

Oh no! It's not your fault, but I know you must feel bad for her. :(

Liz Mays said...

It's ok, it really was an accident. Don't take it out on Field Day, lol

Mary K Brennan said...

There needs to be more Kathy B.'s in the world. There are not enough parents who want or can volunteer anymore. I would probably feel the same way, but try to focus on all the smiles you put on faces instead. Look at all the memories your kids will have.

Stacy Uncorked said...

Awwww! Poor kid! I would have the same weighty lump in the pit of my stomach - but it was an accident, and accidents do tend to follow kids around...just ask Princess Nagger - she's a walking billboard for accidents sometimes... ;)

Ink said...

Aw, geez. Well, injury aside, it sounds like it was a good experience for the other kids (and that picture is CUTE).

KB, don't beat yourself up. These things happen...

Helene said...

Awwww, that poor little girl! But it wasn't your fault...things like that happen all the time. Trust me, it'll be one of my kids someday who splits their chin open on the cement while running. It'll happen, I just know it.

Boys...stinky feet....I'm already experiencing that. I refuse to buy them any more crocs!

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

By product of the game, right? That does sound fun.I might see about adding that to our field day next year!

Unknown said...

Nooooooo, it's not Field Day's fault! You and your enthusiasm must continue to bring smiles to the little ones. Besides, you'll have something to blog about ;)

Suzy said...

You're really brave.

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

I wouldn't blame you at all! I'd feel awful too! But you know it wasn't your fault...it was just an accident.

I'm sure her mother knew that too.

msprimadonna67 said...

Poor kid! But we can only do so much; accidents do happen. Hope she's okay!