Come play in my world for awhile!

Monday, November 10, 2008

The good wife

Saturday we went to the Georgia Tech at UNC football game. This is the second time in a month that I have attended a UNC game. I'm really not much of a football fan, but I went along with it because I knew it would make my husband happy. He puts up with a lot being the sole male in the household, so I figure it's the least I can do.


The last game I attended was miserable. When we left the house it was raining -- not dumping, but a nice, solid downpour. The logic rationalization was that the storm would pass by the time we got to the game. So we loaded up the car with Dad and Pat in the front and me crammed into the backseat of the car with two of my kids. We took the hybrid because I am cheap because it's better for the planet. We should have taken my minivan so that I didn't have to ride packed in like a sardine with my kids using me as a pillow. It's a 45 minute drive. Is it really too much to ask that I not be used as a pillow? Did I mention that I was sick and had just had my root canal and still had a throbbing pain in my jaw? I was not feeling very hospitable back there. Fortunately, I kept it to myself.

So I hunkered down in my seat, closed my eyes, and dozed all the way into the parking garage. As we unloaded ourselves from the car Pat handed us each a rain poncho and a golf umbrella. I was advised to leave the camera in the car as the camera might get ruined if it got soaked. Holy cow. How hard was it raining out there anyway?! I mean, if it's raining hard enough to ruin a camera then surely they call the game. Right?

Apparently not. So we slogged our way through the drizzle and puddles and finally made it to the stadium. By the time we got there I was damp. Not soaked, but definitely damp. I hate to be damp. To make matters worse it quickly became apparent that the golf umbrella would need to be put down once I got into the stadium. Great. The only thing worse than being damp is being wet, and the only thing separating me from being soaking wet was a Disneyland rain poncho. The outlook was not good. So I put on a happy tolerant face and watched some football as the rain came down. It was not the happiest day of my life.

So yesterday we had tickets. Again. Imagine my excitement when I woke up to discover that it was raining. By the time I went out to grab the paper it was pouring. Seriously. Here we go again.

But then a funny thing happened. The rain cleared on the way to the game, just like it was supposed to, and the weather was fabulous. It was homecoming weekend and the energy in the stadium was palpable. I actually had fun a fantastic time at the game. I'd even go so far as to say that I'd like to go again. Just don't tell my husband. I'm still getting those you're-such-a-great-wife hugs. I need to milk this.




Every seat had pom-poms on them. And at the end of the game nobody seemed to want theirs so my girls ran around and collected at least 10 each. I don't know if the girls watched the game or the cheerleaders, but they are getting a ton of mileage out of those free pom-poms. And they've only made a small mess in the house as they deteriorate. The pom-poms are deteriorating. Not the kids.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

See what happens! Good for you for doing things outside your comfort zone!

Anonymous said...

I bet your husband reads you blog. You are SO busted.

Anonymous said...

LOL! Love the pic! That's so funny that you posted this, because I just posted about the Bears game yesterday. It was freezing!!! I had gotten the tix for my Hubby's b-day, so he and all his friends gave me huge points. Whatever it takes, right?! P.S. Thanks for reading my blog, and as for the novel, I am behind, but further along than if I had never started. (Must stay positive.) I'm off to write, but I had to visit my fave blogs. It's addicting, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

Quick! Take it down before anybody catches on...

Anonymous said...

Silly, silly, silly! When you do these things for the hubbies you can NEVER let them discover you are enjoying yourself...