Come play in my world for awhile!

Monday, September 22, 2008

Premature decoration

My husband, as much as I love him, has lost his mind. This weekend he got out the Halloween boxes and started decorating. Newsflash sweetie -- it's still September. While this might not seem particularly odd to some it is completely out of character for us.

I have always been a bit of a child trapped in an adult's world. I love special occasions of any sort; birthdays, religious holidays, anniversaries, you name it. I'm on it. I savor the break from the ordinary routine, and the opportunity to revel in whatever season is upon us. Add kids to the equation and the concept of celebration takes on a whole new kind of fun.

Pat, on the other hand, is a willing participant and happily goes along with me on this. I'm sure over the years I have been the recipient of more than one mental eye roll as I have joyfully over-committed. He is not, however, the instigator; more of a partner in crime. So what on earth inspired him to drag out the Halloween stuff 6 weeks ahead of Halloween? He gave me no rational explanation other than, "Well, we don't want to wait 'til the last minute." What?? Holy role-reversal. And I actually had to pull the plug on him when he started unpacking the Thanksgiving decorations. What is this world coming to?




This is my favorite. When we bought our first house I was all about decorating for Halloween. I went to Target and bought a bed sheet and turned it into the veritable masterpiece you see pictured above our front door. Rachel had to get the Sharpie out yesterday and go over the facial features a bit as they were starting to fade, but otherwise Ghostie is still going strong!




Since Pat had pulled boxes out I got in on the act, too. This looks really tacky doesn't it? I swear it does not look bad live. I think the flash washed out the picture. Yes. Let's go with the flash. I am still clinging to the fantasy that I have impeccable taste and a keen eye for decorating, and I'm not quite done with that fantasy yet.

All kidding aside, though, these are my favorite decorations. They're hard to see, but they are hand print wreaths that I made with the kids a couple years ago. I do wish I could take credit for that cute idea, but crafty is one thing that I am not, and will never be. Check out this site for tons of cheap, fun stuff. I'll still be pulling those wreaths out of the box and faithfully hanging them in my window 20 years from now when they are faded and curled.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Oriental Trading Co -- their stuff is brilliant!

Christie said...

My mother was a premature decorator, and as a result, I am a holiday scrooge. I need to be more like you. My kids would be so happy.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your kind words!